An introduction to SEO optimization for Google News
News is offered through a variety of Google products, most notably Google Search, YouTube, Google Assistant and Google Discovery. The best known is probably Google News - Google's news gathering service launched in 2006.
While the standards and procedures Google uses to maintain regular Google search results largely apply to Google News as well, there are some necessary differences.
The algorithm Google uses to crawl and sort these pages behaves slightly differently. To properly optimize their online content, media companies need to be aware of these differences and know which strategies are best.
Best practices for creating highly optimized news content
According to the Google News Publisher Help Center, the following are the most important ranking factors for Google News:
- Relevance of the contents
In addition, the content you see on the Google News tab is selected based on your personal interests and online activities. This can change what types of content or which publishers you see on the Google News tab.
There are many steps you can take to optimize for these ranking factors. Below are best practices for creating optimized message content:
- Make sure your website is a news-only site. Otherwise, your content cannot be displayed on the Google News tab.
- Enter your website in the Google News Publisher Center. This gives you the ability to submit content directly and customize your settings. It can also help you monetize your content.
- Conduct keyword research. Use specific settings for the Google News tab, if available in your chosen keyword analysis tool.
- Remember that searches peak about two weeks before expected or recurring events like Black Friday.
- Include relevant and unique photos and videos.
- Optimization for mobile devices and improvement of page speed.
- Publish in a timely manner to leverage the effervescent value of news.
- Report relevant YouTube content to Google News.
- Avoid creating explicit or hateful content.
Above all, it is important that the content you publish contains thorough, high-quality information that directly relates to the expectations set by the title.
Important information that must be included in high-quality messages
While the specific information you include in a news article will depend on the story, some typical elements should be included in virtually every quality news article, including:
- The date of publication and all relevant dates and times related to the events discussed;
- The people involved in the events discussed;
- Highlights of the main elements of the events discussed;
- Hyperlink to primary sources or other authoritative sources;
- A discussion of the current situation and its likely development;
- Information on where you can find more up-to-date information on developments.
Focusing on a rapidly evolving or transient situation is just one way news SEO differs from other forms of SEO.
How news optimization differs from other SEO types
In many ways, search engine optimization for news follows very similar principles and best practices to other forms of search engine optimization. For example, it's still important to conduct relevant keyword research, develop quality content, and publish regularly. However, there are also some significant differences between effective strategies for news SEO and more typical types of SEO.
Above all, search engine optimization of news places little emphasis on the perpetual quality of your content. While there are some exceptions, as people want to refresh their memory of past events at a later date. Generally, however, news content focuses on a current event that is expected to change or end relatively quickly. By its very nature, news content is not meant to remain relevant over long periods of time.
How to compete with larger news organizations
You can use the following strategies to compete with larger news organizations as a smaller news website:
- Offer a unique perspective: You can set your content apart by offering a unique perspective on the topic, such as primary sources or original reports.
- Publish in a very timely manner: Making sure you publish content quickly will maximize its timeliness and relevance.
- Focus on a niche: It can be easier to build a reputation in a specific niche than as a general news provider.
- Focus on one location: it can be easier to build a reputation for messages that relate to a specific location than to tackle messages on a larger scale.
- Understand how to use different platforms: If you are well versed in the different news platforms, you may have an advantage over other organizations.
- Prioritize visibility and accessibility: you can add significant value to consumers by making sure your content is easy to find and easy to consume.
- Strengthen your website's authority signals: By strengthening the authority signals on your website, you can increase your online visibility.
- Focus on professionalism: By emphasizing journalistic integrity and developing high-quality content, you can demonstrate legitimacy.
However, it is important to keep in mind that competing successfully with larger organizations will not be easy. This goal must be part of a larger, long-term strategy.
Development of a long-term strategy
Steps you should take in developing your long-term strategy include:
- Reinforce your signals of authority;
- Organize your website carefully;
- Build high-quality backlinks;
- Develop content optimized for keywords;
- Erwägen Sie die Entwicklung optimierter verlinkbarer Inhalte;
- Determine what your long-term goals are;
- Determine your key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Determine what your niche is;
- Start developing the style and voice of your website;
- Develop a style guide;
- Build helpful connections.
For your long-term success, it is also helpful to make sure that your website is properly structured and uses valuable technical elements and strategies.
Technical SEO best practices for Google News
The following technical SEO strategies can help optimize your news content:
- Use structured data to help Google understand your content.
- Use standard file name extensions, such as .jpeg.
- Make sure that a robots.txt file or metatags do not hinder Google from displaying your images.
- Use tracking pixel codes to track impressions.
- Secure the pages of your website with Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS).